Mr Benn's Stage Door

Imagine you lived in a city that had a 'stage door' that opened up straight into space. Imagine living in London, and going through this door and ending up in full country. It would be a miracle right? Yet, in Glasgow and Paisley, two cities that I ply between regularly, we have those doors into the infinite. They're called canal towpaths and sustrans cycleways and they reach, like God's green fingers themselves, right into the very heart of both cities. So, when I arrived at Paisley Canal by train this morning, Mr Benn's stage door was actually on the platform. And when I passed through it, cycling through a bucolic overgrown corridor of wildflowers several kilometres long, I emerged into full country. And became not someone different, as in some fantastical character in a costume, but, cleansed of the claptrap of the city, who I have always been.




No comments:

Post a Comment