Bike & Hike : Barrhead to Cessnock via Neilston & Duncarnock Mount


No sooner than I have my new bicycle than I'm off into the hills. Yesterday, I braved the braes of Kilpatrick, today a little more strenuous with a cycle from Barrhead to my gaff in Cessnock via Neilston and a hike up the north face of Duncarnock Mount.


 Follow the red line from Barrhead and then take the orange line towards Neilston...




























Way back down into the city is almost entirely through a green corridor passing through 2 country parks and 2 golf courses...

It is the first time I have approached the Mount from this side. Previously I had come from the south and Craigton Farm, but the last time I tried that I found it a bit trying as the farm entrance is a complete mess and it's kind of a longish way round compared to this way.

At any rate, it's an impeccable day in late January, full sunshine, not so much wind, and beautiful blue skies. The approach to the mount is simple enough following the old Gateside Road from Barrhead train station up and down (and up again) to Neilston. From Neilston, we pass its train station and duck into the Old Kirkton Road from where we have spectacular views of the valley to the north and below.

 


 Neilston Pad from the base of Duncarnock Mount.




























A little hazy to be sure, but some view nonetheless...


Approaching via Duncarnock Dam. It may look a bit deceiving from here, as in it's miles away or too high, but it's a trick of the eye. From here, it only takes about twenty minutes to walk to the base and get to the top via a sort of well-trampled earthen staircase. This way is short and steep but quick, whereas the Craigton Farm route is longer and flatter, and obviously a lot slower.


Winter Scene. This is where I park my bike before setting off on foot.





























On the way back down via Dams & Darnley Country Park, I saw this imaginative use of the litter that peppers this area.



Nipping through a deserted Cowglen Golf Course I saw these two guys enjoying the emptiness...



























And then through Pollok Golf Course into Pollok Country Park I saw these two guys coming up the river...


And to think I could've spent the day cooped up inside staring at screens....




No comments:

Post a Comment