26 Cyclists




























I love that Glasgow only has 26 cyclists... ;)

When I cycled abroad in cities like Amsterdam and Warsaw, Berlin and Paris, you could not move for cyclists. Cyclist rage was all the rage. In Glasgow, it's the opposite. When you see another cyclist, like a hill-walker seeing another kindred spirit amidst the misty hills, you naturally gravitate towards them, even if that gravity is simply a nod of the head or a swivel of the eyeball...

Maybe it's the hills, Glasgow's glacial past, that keeps them away, keeps them in their tin machines. It's a good thing in my opinion. In the spirit of the Japanese poet Kaneko Mitsuharu whose poem 'Opposition' holds a special place in my soul: to oppose is the only fine thing in life. To oppose is to live. To oppose is to get a grip on the very self.

As soon as everyone starts cycling, I'm going start driving again ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment