Smooth Operator


As I am now without bike (it got liberated two weeks ago from outside my flat) I am obviously looking for some kind of replacement. My old Cannondale which now sits atop my kitchen cupboards, stripped to its beautiful svelte chassis, stands as an example of a bike that rolls, and which was perfectly suited to my own five foot nine inch medium frame. The Trek that replaced it was a 29" wheel version compared with the 26" of the Cannon. Just too big. Another scam in my mind to upset the cycling market (in then same way that supermarkets shift their products about every so often) so that people will be jump-started into buying. I was convinced by the nice guys at Alpine Bikes (now no longer) that the 29" was the future. 

It's not.

26" has always been the present. 

But it seems that they are phasing these wheels out in favour of larger ones. Doesn't surprise me really, in a world beset by size...

So, in memory of the Cannon, and of wheels that fit.... a small memento of a blue gold dream...





Small is beautiful!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment