Improvised Cycling: Dunlop to Neilston

I'm an improvisor, a gifted creator.. all I know is that we are constantly being born. This is a line in Patricia Highsmith's Ripley's Game, spoken by an imitable John Malkovich in the movie of the same name. It's a line (and film) that has stuck with me for some of these pertinent insights. Because we are being born at evry moment, this is what Nature is, birth, birth... birth. Look the word up if you don't believe me. And so it is, that we are all improvisors and gifted creators, and if you're not then you've been barking up the wrong tree and aligned yourself with a system that does not renew you at every moment. So, when the train conductor closed the doors on me at Barrhead station yesterday I had no choice but to get off at the next station some six miles down the line at Dunlop, and improvise. Luckily, I know my routes, and there is a lovely cycle route from Dunlop to Neilston on the old drove road that Rabbie Burns et al. used to take from Ayr. It's completely car free and people free and full of widescreen views across the shires. What's more, I had the wind directly behind me and it was a gust. The route took less than an hour though it appeared timeless when I cycled it. I arrived at Neilston train station to see the train arrive and then whisk me down to Muirend via some breathtaking vistas across the strath. At Muirend, I headed thru Newlands and into Pollok Country Park. I was home before I knew it, and yet...







No comments:

Post a Comment