Glasgow Weather & the Temperature of Truth

In the film 'The Counselor' a rather pretentious Cameron Diaz remarks that 'Truth has no temperature,' when Javier Bardem's character accuses her of 'being cold'. Naturally, this reads a lot better than what is spoken by the miscast Diaz. Nevertheless, both Cormac MaCarthy (who wrote it) and Diaz (who spoke it) are wrong: truth does have a temperature. And it's about 17 degrees Celsius..





























You cannot avoid the weather in Glasgow.... it's everywhere! Indeed, it is one of the glorious events of the Glasgow valley, its temperament and temperature. I often think when, like today, out on a cycle, that at this time of year in any number of the countries I have lived and worked in, it just couldn't be done. I'm thinking of countries like Saudi Arabia (forgive me) and Libya, Qatar, Morocco, Jordan, even some European Mediterranean countries like Turkey, Greece, Italy... You would simply sweat more than your body could hold, and although there's a lot to be said for a good sweat, too much of a sweat can cause problems. Not only that, but I would have to carry a few kilograms of liquids in order to rehydrate. Here, on the other hand, sometimes I go out without any liquid, safe in the knowledge that there will be a stream or a burn somewhere along the route where I can refill, or a tavern I can go into for a pint of cold tap water.

Take this morning for example, and the August rain showers and cool temperatures.... Beautiful! Not only does it keep my body cool as I cycle but it constantly refreshes as I go. On a bike the rain is your ally, a light rain as is apt for this part of the world, nothing too torrential. Indeed, I kinda prefer the cooler months for their cooler climate. Although I enjoy the sunshine, I could never live in a hot climate for more than a few years without pining for Scotland. 

It shapes you, the weather, if you are open enough to it, to the point where I often think that I am the weather. When it's grey and overcast I am kinda grey and overcast. When it's sunny and warm, I am sunny and warm.... 

But people now are beginning to cover their selves up against the weather. Comfort has caused us to amputate this part of ourselves to the extent that I rarely see anyone on the backroads when it's 'wet and miserable'. Yet, this is the weather at its most invigorating, at its most revealing. You will learn secrets of the Great Mystery if you allow yourself to be thrashed by the elements often enough. And of course, the converse is also true, that if you cover yourself up too much, or simply avoid going out into the weather, you will forever remain closed to the Absolute from which you are.

As the French writer Frederic Gros writes in his book, A Philosophy of Walking, 'Truth is the elements taken in all their savage vigour.'



























Getting soaked on the Old Kirkton Road...


No comments:

Post a Comment