Dunlop to Fairlie via Dalry

I recall as a youthful 20 something coming across Erl B. Wilkie's 25 Cycle Routes In and Around Glasgow at the local library and being fascinated at just how many country outings there were to be had around the city. At that time of a young person's life, the city has a tendency to swallow you up whole, and so to find a book extolling the virtues of the 'anti-city' was a very interesting find. It planted some seeds in my head, seeds that took some 10 years to germinate, but when they did, boy did they blossom and grow!

Anyway, I mention Erl B because of the quaint little town of Dunlop he pictured in his labour of love. I remember the old world quality of that picture and recall saying to myself (as if I had just seen a picture of Shangri-la) that I would find and visit that place some day.


 Dunlop

Anyways, from Dunlop train station it is more or less a westerly cycle to Fairlie on the coast via Dalry. I usually take the train from Pollokshaws West train station just at the south-east entrance to Pollok Country Park (living as I do in Cessnock which affords me a beautiful 20 minute cycle through the park from the north), but you could equally take the train from the city centre or any station on that particular line.



























Take the more northerly route out of Dunlop towards Burnhouse and just continue westwards along quiet country lanes to Dalry.























































Being a Saturday, and not having a bypass, I couldn't believe the traffic jam that awaited me in Dalry. Thankfully, I was on a bicylcle and just floated past them all as they waited at the traffic lights. When  afew hundred metres later I stopped to ask directions, I mentioned this congestion, and the lady I was talking to told me that the residents of Dalry had been petitioning for a bypass for years. I still can't believe that, effectively, without this bypass, the whole motorway passes through this very small town centre with all the noise, pollution and general menace that this causes. Incredible!


























The weekend warriors out of office in Dalry.




























Once off the main drag and onto the moor road, the space and peace open up, and the views are astonishing. Here, looking back to Dalry (centre left), and beyond.



























Another small group of cyclists up at the Caaf Reservoir just to the left. The road itself is fairly hilly in places but not too steep.


























Beginning the descent down towards Fairlie, just after Knockendon Reservoir.


























I love roads where the regular traffic is not cars!




























The sea, as we passed Ardrossan, looked good enough to swim in. All in all, another great wee cycle, all told, only about 3 hours from Dunlop to Fairlie going at moderate speeds with several pauses.



No comments:

Post a Comment